Losing weight can be a life-changing process. One that involves some successes and fall backs, along with some experimentation with your fitness routine. If you are looking to add yoga to your regimen to shed some weight, here is some information Yoga Central wants you to know.
Will yoga help me lose weight?
Here are some things you should keep in mind:
- Any increase in physical activity will always result in some modest weight loss results, but yoga is a low-impact exercise and it does not get your heart rate going as fast if you don’t choose the right class
- If you want to lose weight, choose a vigorous, fast-paced style of yoga such as Vinyasa Flow or Power Yoga which will get your heart rate up and your body burning calories.
- A 60-90 minute class targets your entire body and every muscle group which aids in the development of muscles and release of growth hormones which manages metabolism.
- You will need to go to yoga classes multiple times per week to see the most benefits. You should consider an unlimited use pass that allows you to attend as many yoga classes as you want for a specified period.
- Remember that you will see the most results from your yoga practice when combined with a healthy diet rich in natural foods. Eat a lot of vegetables, fruits and lean meats.
Poses to encourage muscle engagement and weight loss:
- Warrior Pose 2 (Virabhadrasana 2): This pose tones the quads, glutes and arms.
- Chair Pose (Utkatasana): This pose targets the quads, glutes, abs and arms.
- Half-moon Pose (Ardha Chandraasana): You’ll feel this pose in you abs, lats and arms.
- Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar): Your abs, arms, shoulders and back will feel the burn during this sequence.
- Plank Pose (Kumbhakasana): This pose will tone your arms, abs, hamstrings, calves and glutes.
- Sage Pose (Vasishtasana): Tone up your abs, arms and detoxify your internal organs with this pose.
- Plough Pose (Halasana): Target your abs, back, hamstrings and calves by doing this asana.
- Bridge Pose (Setubandhasana): Feel the burn in your abs, back, hamstrings and quads.
- Low Lunge Pose (Anjaneyasana): Strengthen your quads, hamstrings and calves by doing this pose.
- Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana): Your quads, abs and arms will thank you for doing this pose.
If you’re interested in exploring yoga as part of your fitness routine to maintain or lose weight, call Yoga Central at (780) 439-0014 and take a look at our schedule to find a yoga class.